4. Learn Basic Grammar

My generation grew up with spell check. Microsoft Word has underlined our misspelled words with that squiggly red line all our lives. Our phones autocorrect our butchered spelling. We even use Google as our own personal dictionary.

But autocorrect and Word and even Google have yet to master the grammar check. Sure, Word tries, with its green squiggles, but it can't catch everything - especially the tricky ones like your/you're or there/their/they're. People, it's up to us to learn the difference.

I'm not asking you to diagram your sentences or distinguish between the past simple and the present perfect. All I'm asking is that you learn basic, high school English and use it properly. Here are some helpful hints:
Source
I appreciate good grammar, but am not a professional. I like to start my sentence with conjunctions. I don't have a strong opinion about the Oxford comma. I'm not really sure how to use who/whom. But basic knowledge of grammar goes a long way in appearing professional and educated (even if you're a college dropout like I am!)

Oh, and one more thing. Please, I'm begging you, never start a sentence with "I seen . . ."

To see more from my Write31Days series, click the image below:

Comments