5. No One Likes the Grammar Police


This life lesson is necessary after yesterday's post, and another one I've learned the hard way. Spelling and grammar have always come naturally to me - probably because I read a lot and have a good memory. But sometimes I let it go to my head. In high school, I was notorious for correcting people when they misused good and well. And while I became the one people brought their papers to for proofreading, I was also the one people were afraid to talk to for fear of using inappropriate grammar and being scolded.

Eventually, I realized I didn't want that reputation. No one likes someone who is condescending. And no one likes to be corrected. I still do it with people I'm close to, but I try to keep my mouth shut in the public sphere. Unless you're looking for advice . . . then I'm happy to help! I get a lot of texts that say "Does this word have an apostrophe in it?" 

It actually kind of is . . .
To see more from my Write31Days series, click the image below:

Comments